An increasing number of people have made it a point to live healthier lifestyles and consume more nutritious food. Often hailing from western countries like Canada, the United States, and Europe, they are eager to find solutions to eat and live in harmony with their environment while simultaneously protecting and promoting it. These people want to continue to live this kind of lifestyle even when traveling or after relocating to a new country like Mexico despite the fact that living and eating healthy often becomes more of a challenge in less developed regions of the world.
Fortunately in the popular holiday destination of Playa del Carmen, that’s home to thousands of expats, you won’t have that kind of problem…only solutions!
Not only does the city offer many outdoor activities to keep you fit and healthy, you’ll also find state of the art gym facilities and yoga centers that combine fitness and spirituality! Playa del Carmen is a walking city where you can get wherever you need to go either by foot or bicycle. It’s easy to stay healthy and pollution-free in this little bit of paradise.
Playa del Carmen also has many vendors that sell organic, local, homemade, vegetarian, vegan and even gluten-free food. And in recent years, the number of these healthy options has only increased.
Visiting Playa del Carmen anytime soon? Be sure to check out our top choice of stores, markets, restaurants, bakeries and juice bars in the area:
- Coco Beach Eco Market: A very small market with10 vendors selling food, handmade jewelry and bags, organic soaps, and upcycled art. It’s located in Condo Les Alixes, Calle 46 & Flamingos (Centro). Just follow the «market» signs. Open on Fridays from 9:00am – 11:00am.
- KavaKasa: Situated right in the center of Playa Del Carmen, you’ll always find something going on in KavaKasa- whether it’s yoga classes or the weekly farmers market selling locally made breads and sweets (including vegan), healthy snacks, salsas and more. Located on 22nd Street between 5th Avenue and 10th Avenue. Open on Tuesdays 11:00am-1:00pm.
- Ecotianguis y Desayuno: This beautiful outdoor community center is located a little further out if you’re living or staying in Centro but it’s well worth the visit. On market day, the beautiful garden fills with vendors selling everything from handmade spoons from locally reclaimed wood to organic, cruelty-free soaps, handcrafts, food, and more. Located in Jardin de Todas Centro Comunitario, Avenida 80 & Calle 3 Sur (Ejido). Open on Friday from 9:00am – 12:00am.
- Parque la Ceiba: The grounds of Parque La Ceiba are so beautiful that even if you don´t buy anything from the many vendors there, you’ll enjoy walking through its park. The shaded pathways provides a comfortable environment for browsing the farmer’s market on hot days. Located on the corner of Calle 1 Sur and Avenida 60. Open Saturday from 11:00am to 6:00pm.
- Mayakoba farmer’s market: With 30 to 40 vendors featuring local farmers you’ll find a huge variety of goods, including craft beers, mezcal, organic food, crafts and plants. Located at Mayakoba Resort, north of Playa del Carmen. Open Sunday 11:00am to 3:00pm (every Sunday in April, once a month after April)
- Bio Organics: A new store in Playa with vegan and vegetarian food, you’ll find Bio Organics on 26th Street between 5th Avenue and 10th Avenue.
- Bio-Natural: For the largest organic and health food store in Playa, check out Bio-Natural on 5th Avenue between 40th and 42nd. Selling rice, almond, soy and coconut milk, they also have a small cafe serving up organic and even gluten-free dishes like veggie pita sandwiches, salads, hummus, curry, quinoa, falafel, lentils and smoothies.
- OrganiK Boutique: An organic mercado located in Plaza Paseo Playacar stocking vegan and raw food ingredients as well as gluten-free items.
- Dac Supermarket: Located on 30th Ave. and Constituyentes, Dac Supermarket has been a Playa del Carmen health foodie godsend for years. You can buy food in bulk like grains, fresh herbs, fruits and vegetables, organic produce, spices, fresh cheeses. They even sell gluten-free bread and pasta!
- Pacsadeli: Not necessarily a health food store but a small restaurant supply market that’s open to the public, Pacsadeli has a whole rack of gluten free products for sell. You’ll also find a larger variety of Asian sauces to help make your vegetarian cooking even more savory. Located on Avenue Andres Quintana Roo (Av. 34) between 70th and 75th Avenues.
- Somos del Maiz: Translated from Spanish to mean “we are from corn”, Somos del Maiz is a health food store that sells veggie, organic and ecological food products. They also serve delicious vegan dishes in the back of their store. Located on 46th Street between 5th & 10th Avenue.
- 100% Natural: A restaurant chain found in Playa del Carmen and Cancun, 100% Natural prides itself on their healthy menu featuring delicious, gluten-free dishes. Most Mexican dishes are made with corn and rice which are naturally gluten-free! Enjoy nachos, guacamole, tacos with corn tortillas, rice and beans, pico de gallo, salads and fresh fruit juices.
- Los Aguachiles: Los Aquachiles is THE place if you love seafood. Located well outside the tourist zone on Calle 34 and Ave. 25. Try the fresh tuna in a lettuce wrap for a low cal, gluten-free treat or one of their healthy and fresh ceviches or tostadas!
- Green 373: Chef Rocio Norzagaray’s healthy haven is on 5th Ave between Calles 34 y 38. This sweet little breakfast spot will encourage you to get out of bed early on your vacation.
- The Green Box: The perfect spot to grab a healthy lunch on the go, the Green Box serves fresh fruit juices guaranteed to rejuvenate after a long stroll through town on a hot day. Located on 5th Avenue and 38th Street.
- Kaxapa Factory: Owned and operated by a Venezuelan family who understands the meaning of vegan, the Kaxapa Factory has lots of vegetarian and gluten-free options. Try the traditional Venezuelan corn pancakes. Located on Constituyentes between 10th and 15th.
- La Ceiba de la 30: We bet you‘ll find yourself at La Ceiba de la 30 more than once during your vacation. Located on 30th Ave. norte, between Constituyentes and 20, they serve authentic Mexican cuisine done healthy. Don’t believe it? Check it out for yourself.
- La Senda Vegana: An all natural, vegetarian (and vegan), homemade restaurant, you’ll be delighted with its ever changing, creative menu. Round out the meal with a superfood truffle or cookie. Find it at 10th Avenue between 10th and 10th bis.
- Clorofila restaurant: A vegan and vegetarian restaurant with a vast and creative menu, Clorofila restaurant serves delicious and socially conscious food. An open air dining experience on 30th Avenue and the corner of 20th Street, this restaurant will certainly become one of your favorite places in Playa Del Carmen.
- Salade: Famous for its build-it-yourself salads, Salade is the perfect spot to grab a sandwich or quick lunch. Considered reasonably priced by most, you can check them out at the corner of 15th Avenue and 10th St. (corner of the park in front of the Palacio Municipal (City Hall)).
- Bio Organicos: This vegan/ vegetarian restaurant and health food store is a newcomer on the health scene in Playa. A very affordable and tasty option for breakfast and lunch, their store has a wide variety of organic, vegan and vegetarian products. Located on 26th Street.
- Balche Playa: A true vegetarian restaurant offering about 18 menu options with a small organic store. Located on 10th Street between 10th Avenue and 15th Avenue. Check out their specialty infused drinks.
- El Sangha-Rito: On the north end of downtown, El Sangha-Rito offers a large selection of juices, salads, vegetarian options and healthy menu items. A nice open air restaurant with trees in front, you’ll find it located on Avenue CTM between 5th Avenue and 10th Avenue.
- El Hongo Restaurant: A funky, artsy restaurant right in the outskirts of Playa, this colorfully decorated place offers affordable meat as well as vegetarian meals. As a perk for traveling outside the city you can check out some of the murals on the walls nearby. This restaurant is located on Calle 19 Sur between 80th and 85th Avenues.
- El Jardin Restaurant: Connected to Dac Market, you’ll always find a hubbub of activity at el Jardin Restaurant. A large menu with vegetarian options and the best fresh juices and smoothies around! DAC Market and el Jardin Restaurant are located on 30th Avenue between Constituyentes and 20th St.
- La Jungla de la Riviera: Located outside the city in Colosio neighborhood, this small restaurant offers juices as well as many vegetarian and healthy options. Located on 10th Avenue between 68th Street and 70th Street.
- Frutiyogurth: A healthy restaurant offering smoothies, whole wheat sandwiches, juices and salads. A little more commercial, this restaurant prides itself on healthy eating and drinking. Frutiyogurth is located on the corner of 40th Avenue and 34th Street.
- Las Quekas: A restaurant serving a variety of Mexican quesadillas including vegetarian options (e.g. squash blossom with cheese). Everything made to order. A restaurant chain with multiple locations in Playa, the easiest to find is on 10th Avenue between 10th Street and 12th Street.
- Pangea Roots: A serious juice bar that uses a cold press to make their drinks. They even offer a detox plan with daily juices. They also provide a small menu of vegan and vegetarian food items. This juice bar/cafe is on 34th Street between 5th Avenue and 10th Avenue.
- Campo Real: Another juice bar offering a small selection of food. Customize your fruit and vegetable juice or smoothie with added grains or nuts. Campo Real is on 45th Avenue between 16th Street and 18th Street.
- Jugos y Antojitos “El Huerto”: On the corner of 30th Avenue and 28th Street, this local restaurant makes a wide range of fruit juices and smoothies. A perfect pit stop if you happen to be in this part of town. You’ll want to avoid the food as it can be a little on the greasy side.
- Rollito Dulce: Rollito Dulce makes European sweet rolls with different toppings, all of which are vegan!!! This tiny bakery is located on 2nd Street near 15th Avenue.
- The pitted date vegan bakery and café: The only vegan bakery in Playa Del Carmen, they come up with a number of tasty cakes and tarts for their customers to enjoy. Check them out on 26th Street between 5th Avenue and 10th Avenue.